Vintage Bluebird keeping it local
As a ‘bricks and clicks’ business commitment to our local community is as important to us as engaging with our on-line audience. And ever since we set-up Vintage Bluebird we have endeavoured to have a proportion of our stock provided by ‘up and coming’ suppliers and a proportion provided by local businesses. In this blog we will look at some suppliers that are very local to us but also supply us with some of our best selling products:
- Vintage Bluebird Gifts and Interiors which of course is us and we manufacture and supply our own lampshades on our premises. This gives us great flexibility so we can vary the patterns we use to offer variety to our customers. We can also make lampshades to order and often use fabrics provided by customers themselves. So a lampshade to match your curtains is not out of the question. We also make bespoke bunting from our vintage fabrics so you can have an extra special christening, birthday or wedding present; some bunting with your name on! How lovely!
- Sarah Heaton is based in Little Walton Bank Studio in Ashbourne and is a ceramic designer of considerable repute. We were very surprised when we first moved our shop to the town that she had no current outlet. We have been selling her work for a few months now and they are rapidly becoming some of our best selling items. Sarah has all her pottery made in Stoke-on-Trent and we are proud to help her support The Potteries.
- On A Wick and A Prayer are candle makers from Tissington Village which is about 4 miles north of Ashbourne. Annie Maudling and her team design and fragrance all their candles and offer a bespoke service where they will make candle ranges specifically for your own shop or business. In addition to the range of exclusive fragrance candles On a Wick produce their decorative ‘Hurricane Candles’; fabrics set within a wax shell. This is fantastic as Vintage Bluebird has loads of fabrics from the lampshade and bunting operations and an everlasting candle makes a great gift.
- Pure Thoughts are soap and toiletry makers from Derby. We stock their vast range of soaps, bath bombs, lip balms and face and body creams. We chose to stock their product partly because they are local but also because they were the best soaps out of the fifteen samples we tried! The soaps are made by the traditional cold process using natural ingredients, some ingredients have healing properties, some exfoliate and all their ingredients just smell nice.
- Clementine Jewellery is based in Burton-upon-Trent in Staffordshire and we totally fell in love with their jewellery. All their pieces are made from semi-precious stones and high quality glass beads that truly sparkle. Sterling silver is used as well as silver plate which makes for remarkable value with no compromise on quality or aesthetics. Ami is making great waves in the industry and is now attending some of the larger trade shows. Her products are some of our best sellers and we are happy to support her on her journey.
- Repeat Repeat is an award winning ceramic design company from Stoke-on-Trent who have nearly 30 years experience in the industry. We have stocked their products since we first opened our doors two and a half years ago. Mark and Gillian’s designs are quirky, amusing and many have a retro chic quality about them. Their most exciting changes have been in their 100% British ranges made using Bone China from Stoke-on-Trent, helping keep centuries of tradition and expertise alive. We salute you!
- Design Rocks are the latest addition to our local range of products and just make the list being across the border in Leicestershire. Helen makes use of vintage fabrics to make up bold retro designs. Her cards are rapidly proving to be some of our fastest sellers which is great as one thing we have learned along the way is that dealing with smaller local designer makers is infinitely better for us than struggling to work with the bigger players who do not always value our business.
So thank you to our local suppliers, we love selling your products and supporting you. There is a saying about ‘putting your money where your house is’, and that in stringent times we should think a little more about supporting the local economy and the local economy can then support us. Currently about 40% of our stock is 100% UK based and we are working on the rest. Over the next few months we have made the conscious decision to get as many of these products online as well as in the shop. Help us support great British design and manufacture.